Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Homesickness - One College Girl's Perspective

Being in my second year of college I have come to understand a few things about homesickness, and while I am not an expert on the case I do know some facts that one can only learn from experience.

Fact number one:
I can always tell when it is about fall break time, not by looking at a calender or from an announcement but because about a week beforehand I get extremely homesick. I get sad and antsy. I don't want to do anything,, except go home. Lucky for me I am able to fly home on Fall Break, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't and I don't think I ever want to find out. I like to think that I would be fine, cowgirl up and just wait it out and enjoy life why I'm here, and I probably would but not before some tears and thoughts of how I wanted to see my friends and family and doubting every decision I had ever made since high school. However that leads me into my second fact...

Fact number two:
It is okay to cry and doubt every decision you've made since high school every once in a while... it can make you feel a lot better. I'm not saying to dwell on it and let it stay with you. But if you have one day where you just can't fight it get it out and the next day won't seem so bad.

Fact number three:
Homesickness is different for everyone. Some people cry the first couple days, some people are excited the first couple days and then get homesick later, some people feel both some people just get randomly homesick at different times. It really depends on the person and what they're feeling. Also if they're missing some event back home like a younger sister's greenhand banquet or senior picture photo shoot it can also trigger some feeling of homesickness.

Fact number four:
Distance doesn't matter if you're 19 minutes away or 19 hours you are probably going to miss home. Yes 19 minutes away is an easier visiting distance but things are still different, you're still not living at HOME. Which is the whole idea of homesickness, not living at home.

Fact number five:
Homesickness is not a reflection on you. To me my being homesick says nothing about me but about my family and friends. I am in a new place trying new things and going somewhere with my life. But my family and friends are so great that my heart and home will never truly stray. They have touched me so much that no matter where I go in the world there will always come a time when my love for traveling and the marvels of a place will not out weigh the love I have for them. No matter where I go I will always return home.

1 comment:

  1. I think you would eventually cowgirl up you have always been good at adapting to anything

    ReplyDelete